Using plain language is about much more than simply replacing fancy words with simple words. It is certainly not about “dumbing down”.
TRUSTMAKERS’ Plain Language Workshop will help you better understand and build on the common ground you share with your audience. It will help you to be clear, authentic and trusted in your written and verbal communication.
The course is based on our definition of an effective plain language communicator:
- You build on common ground and establish trust with the audience,
- to help them understand and act upon your ideas,
- that you are expressing in clear, plain language.
Bad writing costs businesses billions of dollars. Workers spend an average of 22% of work time reading. About 6% of wages are spent on employees trying to decipher unclear writing in emails, memos and other business communication.Reference
Governments and other organizations often communicate in a way that prevents their audience from understanding and acting upon the information.
Almost half of Canadians have trouble with reading, writing and comprehension. They struggle with text filled with terminology, complex sentence structures and abstract concepts. Even people who have high literacy skills can struggle with language that is not in plain language.
Using plain language is about understanding and building on common ground. You see your information from the audience’s point-of-view and not your own. You build the trust between you and the audience.
The session typically covers:
- What is plain language
- Understanding your audiences
- Having clear objectives
- How clear thinking leads to clear communication
- Making abstract concepts concrete
- Writing using clear words, sentences and paragraphs
- Use of formatting to improve readability
- Use of storytelling and examples
Our current course designs serve as the basis for discussions with you about your particular needs.